Saturday, December 31, 2022

New Year's Update

 Amid all the plans going on for New Year's Eve tonight and looking forward to what 2023 will bring, just a few thoughts and reflections to offer up at the close of another year.

I hope whatever you do this evening you do it safely and responsibly, and make lasting memories if you possibly can with that special person in your life.  I know how fleeting that can be.  Just today I found a Facebook memory from when we attended the Jim Witter concert down at the PAC four years ago tonight, and I had to stop and collect my thoughts.  Four years and so much has changed...

That's the thing about memories.  We often don't realize we're making them until long after they are made, and they slip into our memory banks again to make us smile, tug at heartstrings, or perhaps bring a tear to an eye or two.  So tonight, do what you can to cherish the memories you've made and will make both tonight and into the New Year.

It's funny; this night has rarely held much importance for me.  Growing up in Toronto I was usually at home this night, as my parents either went to their friends Sheila & Ken Tate for a visit and Chinese food, or they came to our house.  It was an alternate thing and that happened for as long as I can remember.

When I finally became old enough to be more independent and making my way in my chosen career I did get out on the odd New Year's Eve, and one forgettable year I invited people over for a party and nobody showed up...save for one couple.  But hey, that was enough and we had a great time!

When I was firmly established in my radio career I usually ended up working this night, sometimes to midnight, many times as late as 3 am.  So for about 20 years I really had no concept of how to observe the night.  When I finally did get the night off from my job I was at loose ends as to how to celebrate it!

With Sophie it was usually easy...she made the plans and I just said "great!".  Often we would go out to dinner or such, but the last two years we were together we did the show at the PAC on New Year's Eve with friends and it was about as enjoyable a night as I can remember.

Now, I am very much a homebody and quite content with that.  Tonight as has been the case the last couple of years I will perhaps go for a walk after dinner and then simply relax with the cats and watch some TV before retiring early for the night.  I have not stayed up until midnight in years, thinking it will be 2023 when I get up in the morning anyways so I will greet the New Year then, thanks.

I know, not very exciting, but many people I talked to this weekend have similar plans.  It's funny but I think with the aging population we may be seeing a slow decline in lavish late night parties on New Year's Eve and perhaps that's not a bad thing.

I bought a bottle of de-alcoholized wine for tonight...how exciting is that?!

Tomorrow will be a quiet day and since the annual Mayor's Levee is on at the Armoury again this year I might just stop in for a visit. wearing my mask of course.

I started a tradition a couple of years ago for the dinner on New Year's Day, and it will continue again this year.  Since I am always so tired Christmas Day following my late night hosting the Midnight Mass broadcast from the Cathedral on Christmas Eve, I decided to hold off on my own Christmas dinner until New Year's.  It is quite enjoyable actually!

So that brings me to how I am doing these days, and I promised you last week I would give you an update as I have the last couple of years on this weekend.  Overall I am doing okay.  I mean, it isn't perfect but I make the best of the situation and concentrate first and foremost on my recovery and moving forward, which became my mantra at the beginning of 2022.

In some ways I have been successful in moving my life forward, even sampling a brief romance this past summer, but alas it was not to be, at least not for now.  I remain hopeful on that front though and perhaps 2023 will be the year I can find love again and move forward even more than I have done already.

I am also making more, albeit small changes in the house.  I feel it is time to add a slightly more masculine look to the place.  Not drastic mind you and I can assure you it won't just become one giant man cave.  But there are some things I think can be changed to alter the look without compromising the quiet elegance I have always wanted to achieve here.

Perhaps it is inevitable I would make this change and in fact it is probably good that I do.  I can't just live in the past and I know Sophie would not want me to.  So I make changes that honour the past and look to the future at the same time, and in the process help to move me forward, the direction I am focused on heading in.

There is a certain sadness for those of us who have lost someone dear when the holidays arrive.  There is for me, certainly.  But with each passing year the ache is a little less, there is slightly more decorating done than previously, and you begin to feel you can do this.  You can move on with your life and make new memories, either on your own or with someone new.

So enjoy your celebrations tonight if indeed you are celebrating.  If on the other hand you are having a quiet night in tonight as I am, be thankful for the good things that have come your way and show appreciation for those around you throughout the year.

Let's make this a New Year's to remember for all the right reasons.  You and I and everyone else deserve nothing less.

From my house to yours, Happy New Year and all the best for 2023!

Enjoy.

December 31st, 2022.

No comments: