Saturday, December 24, 2022

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to All

 As this is December 24th, I thought I would offer up some Christmas Eve thoughts as we all go about our appointed rounds today and over the holidays...

While many will spend the holidays with family and in some cases friends, not everyone will, and I hope we'll all remember them this Christmas season.  As we've seen and heard in the news the past 24 hours, many are trying to get home for the holidays but the weather is thwarting those plans.  My heart goes out to those still in airports, train stations or in some cases this morning on the trains themselves, not going  anywhere soon.

But I also want to offer up a reminder not everyone will be home due to work commitments.  Many service workers will be on the job either tonight or tomorrow, or both.  Let's remember them all this season for their sacrifices:  the police and fire personnel, restaurant workers, those manning the few stores open over the Christmas period, taxi drivers, transit personnel and of course, let's not forget those overworked health care professionals always there for us now and always.

I have during my radio career worked my fair share of Christmas and New Year's shifts as well and I know how difficult yet gratifying it can be.  Once when working on Christmas Day on the air I remember a lady calling me late in the afternoon and thanking me for keeping her company during the afternoon as she was all alone at Christmas.

So yes, it can be lonely, but sometimes the rewards do help to make up for working the holidays.

Let's also remember those who have lost someone special in their lives and feel that loneliness that comes with now being alone during the holidays on a very personal level.  It happens to most of us at one time or another and I can tell you from my personal experience it is heart-wrenching to say the least.

This will be my third Christmas without Sophie and although it has become a little easier since the first one, the ache in my heart I don't think will ever go away.  And I know I am not alone in feeling that way either.

So next week I will update you at the end of the year on my own personal journey.

But for now, please remember those who need us at this time of year: the shut-ins, the lonely and those who choose to work for whatever the reason so we can enjoy the season with our respective families.  

There is joy in the season but also for some, pain too.  Be kind and understanding and be thankful always for those you still have surrounding you with love.

Merry Christmas however you choose to celebrate it and with whom.  Make the most of the holidays if you possibly can.  Make new memories now to last a lifetime.

Enjoy your holidays and we'll talk again soon.

December 24th, 2022.


No comments: