Saturday, July 2, 2011

Some thoughts on Canada Day weekend and good news stories on the arts

As we continue through the Canada Day long holiday weekend in Niagara, I hope you're enjoying some time off to spend with friends and family.  I found myself in Niagara-on-the-Lake twice yesterday; first for a fabulous lunch on the patio at Strewn Winery on Lakeshore Road, and wandering the shops in the Old Town along with several thousand other tourists who had the same idea.  It was fun, though, and the Canada Day celebrations at Simcoe Park were a real treat.  Even snagged a small slice of the Canada Day cake being handed out late in the afternoon!

In the evening, we were back in Niagara-on-the-Lake for a performance of Drama at Inish - A Comedy by Irish playwright Lennox Robinson.  I'll have more to say on this production when I review the first two shows at Shaw this season next week, but for now, consider it a definite 'go see' this season at Shaw.

Today, a couple of local good news stories involving the arts I thought I would share with you.  First, I know I wrote extensively about the Niagara Symphony last weekend; that was before I realized I missed one important performance coming up for them this summer, and that is this Friday evening at 8 pm in Welland.  Once again, the Niagara Symphony will be performing at the annual IlluminAqua 2011 music festival at the Merritt Park Amphitheatre in downtown Welland.  The Niagara Symphony kicked off the inaugural season there a few years ago, and it is nice to see them back again this year.  Associate Conductor Laura Thomas leads the orchestra along with featured soloist Elton Lammie; the same pairing at Market Square in downtown St. Catharines on Canada Day.  Tickets are available online at http://www.illuminaqua.com/.

I have never made it down to Illuminaqua, I am sorry to say, but I have promised myself to catch the Niagara Symphony this coming Friday night.  Working as early in the morning as I do, even Friday evening is a challenge for me to stay up late now, but since I am having a stay-at-home vacation this week, I should be fine and ready to go on Friday, and I am looking forward to seeing and hearing what all the positive comments have already told me about this great summer music venue.  Should be fun!

The 50th anniversary Summer Music Camp also kicks off for children enrolled this summer on Monday, at Ridley College.  Countless musicians have come through the Niagara Symphony Summer Music Camp over the years, including some who now play with the orchestra.  Associate Conductor Laura Thomas also directs the program, and will be busy in the coming weeks directing her young charges at Ridley College.

The other good news arts story this week involves Carousel Players, the theatre group based out of the Old Courthouse in downtown St. Catharines.  Carousel Players is devoted primarily to school children and introducing them to theatre at a very young age.  Artistic Director Pablo Felices-Luna and General Manager Jane Gardner work diligently to provide intelligent, thought-provoking theatre for the young 'uns to get them started on theatre and the arts early, and they are to be congratulated for their efforts.  I remember a couple of months back attending an annoucement MPP Jim Bradley was to make at the start of a performance brimming with children in the Sullivan Mahoney Courthouse Theatre, and Jim mentioned to everyone there he wanted to stay for the performance himself as he loves seeing the childrens' reactions to the events unfolding on stage.

Well this week, the Dora Mavor Moore Awards, the Toronto-area theatre awards handed out each year, held their annual shindig, and Carousel Players were nominated for two Doras over the past season, and that is great news!  Unfortunately they didn't win, but even being nominated is quite an honour for our group here, as they are up against some pretty high-powered competition for the awards.  Jane told me this week they were thrilled to be nominated, and she has good reason to be proud of the achievements of Carousel Players over the years.

Speaking of years, Carousel Players just announced their 40th anniverary season, and they are indeed in a celebratory mood these days.  You can check out the new season listings on the calendar page of my website, A Web of Fine Music, found at http://www.finemusic.ca/, or going to http://www.carouselplayers.com/.

Have a great remainder of the holiday weekend!

July 2nd, 2011.

No comments: