Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Some outdoor entertainment to take your mind off the heat this summer

My apologies for not writing on the weekend as is my custom, but I had a few days off and promised myself I would unplug myself for the week as well as my old computer, as I set up my new I-Mac, which I am still learning how to operate, by the way.  But this is the first blog written on the new beast, so we are making progress.  I also had several Shaw shows to attend on the weekend, so I will be writing extensively about those in the coming weeks as the season continues for our two major theatre festivals in Ontario.

In spite of the heat, or perhaps because of it, just a short little entry here with a couple of ideas for some outdoor entertainment that is always around us here in Niagara.  The first is an event happening this evening (July 20th) at Montebello Park in downtown St. Catharines.  Driftwood Theatre is on the road again this summer with their so-called "Bard Bus Tour" that brings Shakespeare to the masses in several Ontario communities.  They stop in St. Catharines this evening for their one local appearance, beginning at 7:30.

Shakespeare's Scottish play, Macbeth, is the offering this year, so not many laughs out in the park this evening.  But well-acted Shakespeare is always welcome, and this group appears to have a pretty good track record for producing open-air Shakespeare.  Macbeth is referred to as "the Scottish play", of course, by those superstitious thespians who fear mentioning the title alone could curse the production given past experiences over the years.  Whether you believe the curse exists or not, you should try to get out and enjoy the play tonight.

The performance is a pay-what-you can affair, although it is suggested the donation should be around $ 15.00.  That's pretty affordable Shakespeare if you ask me!

Another idea involves a quick drive down the QEW to Charles Daley Park in Lincoln for their Sunset Music Series, which runs Tuesday evenings during July and August, rain or shine, at the amphitheatre overlooking Lake Ontario.  Performances range from Sandy Vine and The Midnights next Tuesday evening, for example, to Jimmy Marando's Orchestra on August 2nd; the Lincoln Concert Band on August  9th; TiannaH & Jazz with a Twist on August 16th; Steve Burnside Blues Band on August 23rd; and wrapping up with Flat Broke on August 30th.

I attended the TiannaH performance last season and plan to attend again this year.  She is a great local singer and has a great backup band to accompany her, and having met this wonderful lady on many occasions, I always look for an opportunity to catch some great music when my schedule allows.

The venue is very scenic, with seating on the lawn leading down to the amphitheatre, and food is usually available on site from local vendors as well.  Best part of all? The concerts are free, so you can't beat that.

Get out and enjoy a little slice of summer one evening and forget about the heatwave for a little while!

July 20th, 2011.

No comments: