Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Weekend in....Hollywood!

After a week off from work where I went south...to my basement for the next phase of the Big Clean Up, it is back to the computer and catching up on what's going on around us. Musically and entertainment-wise, it is the biggest weekend of the year for movie buffs, as the Oscars are handed out on Sunday evening. I won't catch much of the broadcast, as I get to bed early for a 3 am alarm to get me up for work on Monday morning. But I might catch a bit of it before I head to bed. I find it fascinating so many people watch for no other reason than to see what the women are wearing...isn't it the movies we are interested in? Apparently not.

Once again this year, I missed seeing all of the Oscar nominated films, which is not all that unusual, as I rarely go to a movie these days and when I do, it invariably ends up being something that has no hope of winning anything at all. I think the last Oscar-winning movie I went to was The English Patient, and I found it about as exciting as watching paint dry. Mind you, I was on the Date from Hell that day, with the lady in question moving several rows up from me to watch the last half of the movie by herself, but that's another story for (hopefully not) another day! I do like the soundtrack, though, with the moody backdrop and occasional splash of Fred Astaire to liven things up a bit. I even have the disc in my personal collection.

If you are looking for another way to celebrate the Hollywood weekend, either this evening or tomorrow afternoon, leaving the evening free to either watch or ignore the Oscars, the Niagara Symphony has the third in their Pops! concerts this weekend at the Sean O'Sullivan Theatre at Brock University. Titled A Flute in the City of Angels, the concert features flutist Louise Di Tullio and clarinettist Kaye Royer with the strings of the Niagara Symphony, conducted this time by Guest Conductor Brian Jackson. The programme includes a world premiere: Ronald Royer's Short Stories for Flutes; as well, several selections by John Williams, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Elton John, Bernard Herrmann and even David Rose. Should be an interesting program! Once again, I will be in the lobby before, at intermission and after the performance, with a table full of music that hopefully will tempt you, so if you are going, please be sure to stop by and say hello. Tickets are available through the Brock box office, at 905-688-5550, ext. 3257. Good seats are still available for both performances, with Saturday evening being the better choice for good seats.

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't plug my own business, A Web of Fine Music, at www.finemusic.ca, where this week I have on the website's Mike's Picks page a three-disc set of classic Hollywood stars from the past titled Singing Hollywood. It reads like a who's who of the Golden Age of Hollywood: Judy Garland, Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Bing Crosby and many others. There are a few surprises, too, like Martha Raye, Erroll Flynn and Delores Del Rio. Truly a collector's dream set, and at only $ 20 plus tax for all three discs, how can you go wrong? Perfect set for you Oscar night party, by the way.

So, enjoy the weekend, and don't mind me if I don't have a clue who won and who lost come Monday morning!

February 21st, 2009.

No comments: