Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day thoughts and musings...

Well here we are, Valentine's Day is upon us again, guys, and it is even a Saturday this year. I have been told the pressure is really on us this year because it is a Saturday, and the first day of a three-day weekend for some, to boot. And to avoid getting the boot from your significant other, most guys feel the need (okay, with some it's the desire) to surprise that someone special in your life on this romantic day.

Okay, I am guilty as charged, as far as doing something today is concerned: earlier this week I picked up a lovely crystal votive candle holder we saw in the window of a shop downtown on a Sunday afternoon walk a couple of weeks ago. Rather than flowers this year, I presented the candle holder along with an appropriate card first thing in the morning with these instructions: you light the candle and provide the wine this evening, and I will provide dinner at 6 pm. I know I can do this, as I pre-booked dinner to be picked up from Sara's Fine Gourmet on Scott Street in the north end last Tuesday; a four-course gastronomic extravaganza at a very affordable price I will pick up this afternoon at 5:45. Now how's that for planning?

Now, I have always acknowledged Valentine's Day with my other half; more some years than others, but this year I felt I wanted to do more since it was a weekend. And since red roses are notoriously expensive this one day of the year, I figured the dinner and candle holder would make more of an impression for not much more money. But here's the dilemma: guys are usually expected to do something special on this day; the women are not really required to, although some often do. Why is that? Should it not be a mutual affair, if you'll pardon the expression? Just posing the question, you understand...

So what has this all got to do with music, you ask? In my days running a music store, there was always a mild rush on Valentine's Day as guys would pick up a CD that would set the mood for the big day or simply be something he knows she would like. That doesn't seem to happen as much anymore, but record companies still come out with romantic compilations to hopefully woo consumers (read guys) just in time for the big day, with an assurance this collection will make the day all that much more special. I have seen some pretty interesting collections over the years, some more successful than others, of course, and this year is no exception.

One of the newer collections specifically geared to Valentine's Day comes from Reprise Records, the label Frank Sinatra founded many years ago and which is, along with Capitol Records still repackaging Ol' Blue Eyes' classic performances to attract new buyers. This year it is Seduction: Sinatra Sings of Love, available either as a standard single disc or a deluxe two-disc set. Hey, guys, in for a penny, in for a pound, I always say; I have the deluxe two-cd set in stock now at www.finemusic.ca if you are interested. Just email me at music@vaxxine.com or go to my website to order it; you might even have it in time for this evening if that's what you want.

The two-disc set includes, the label says, 32 Irresistible Classics, including I've Got You Under My Skin, It Had To Be You, Witchcraft and I Get a Kick out of You. There is also, for whatever reason, an alternate version of My Funny Valentine. Was the famous version he recorded years ago not good enough for this collection? One wonders...anyway, I couldn't help but think most people who would remember Sinatra in their - and his - heyday likely have not given seduction much of a thought for a few years now, and even if they have, two discs is likely more seduction music than they need or can handle. Just surmising here, you understand...but it is a nice collection, and at $ 30.00 plus tax for the two disc set, it is cheaper than a dozen roses, let me tell you!

If I appear to have my tongue firmly planted in my cheek, you're right, I do. Just the thought of making one day out of the year more romantic and special has always struck me as a rather odd concept. I have always been an incurable romantic and always will be. I like the element of surprise and that means whatever, whenever. If an opportunity comes up the other 364 days of the year to show I care and someone means something special to me, I will almost always do it. Isn't that better than reserving just one day out of the year for it? Hmmm. maybe the thought of Family Day in Ontario two days hence is more than mere coincidence...

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14th, 2009.

No comments: