Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Going off-topic for a political rant

I'm late posting my weekend blog, and for that I apologize but time just kinda got away from me.  But I want to detour from my usual arts reporting and get something off my chest that has been simmering for some time now.

Reader warning:  I'm entering what I call the High Rant District here, and it's going to get political.

I have been active on social media for quite a number of years now, due in part because of my media background and the fact in those days it was basically required you be on social media.  But being a writer and broadcaster by trade for over 40 years, I bring a different approach than some to what constitutes a correct posting on social media.  Because I know it is still media to be consumed by the public, I am always careful to watch my language, be respectful and try to offer balanced views on anything I post.

It appears sometimes, these days I am in the minority.

Over the past several years the face of social media has changed and I find it to be a veritable Wild West of extremism, hateful and downright nasty viewpoints and character assassination on an almost regular basis.  None of these attributes do I subscribe to, nor will I ever.

The present climate, combined with the latest revelations about Facebook have prompted me to reconsider my associations with social media and adjust accordingly.  Last week I tightened my security settings to the highest level on all fronts and began a rigid schedule of changing passwords and such on a very regular basis.

No terrible events in regards to security breeches yet, thank heavens, but I wanted to be more careful than I have been in the past.  And ultimately, I am not ruling out exiting from social media altogether should the current climate escalate much further.

Now all of this was precipitated by a posting I made via Facebook a little over a week and a half ago regarding the announcement that Donald Tump Jr. and his wife Vanessa are apparently divorcing.  I captioned it with the simple line "Like father, like son..."

It was an observation on a newsworthy event.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, the fallout was fast and furious and I think most people who posted comments that were particularly nasty were missing the point entirely.  My post was not necessarily Trump-bashing, although I readily admit I am no fan of the current U.S. Chief Executive.  I was simply referring to the fact Trump Jr. was following in his father's footsteps, since Donald Sr.  is on what, his third marriage now?  Anyway, the damage was done and what followed was a litany of vitriol.

I find it interesting those on either side of the border who are supporters of Trump cannot see the forest for the trees.  You cannot offer criticism without them taking umbrage in the worst possible way and get nasty in the process.

Oh, the references to people "picking" on him, why should we worry about him anyways, and just look who we've elected on this side of the border - that's what we should be worried about!  You get the idea.

Look, politicians everywhere are public figures so in any case they will be loved by some and vilified by others.  That's politics and they know or at least should know what they signed up for.  But we've lost the ability to moderate our stances and observe a certain amount of decorum while posting in a public medium.

I have written about this on social media before:  there is an attitude now that "My guy is right and everyone else is wrong, and not only that, they are idiots.  There is no longer any middle ground.  There is no longer an ability to temper your views with a measure of balance; rather there is a firm desire to stifle opposing views and label them as not only incorrect but downright treasonous.

We're seeing this more and more on this side of the border now as well, and with a provincial election in Ontario looming this June, the vitriol is already ramping up in a big way.  Supporters of Ford Nation pitted against The Enemy.  They are right and anyone who doesn't agree with them are clearly wrong.

News flash:  no matter what side of the political fence you are on, your representative is going to do/say something stupid at some point whether you like it or not.  They will also do many good things as well.  All sides will.  That's how it works, and suggesting your particular candidate can do no wrong is disingenuous and you are sadly incorrect.

What happened to constructive political discussion anyways?  Have we all been reduced to nothing more than sheep following the leader all the while devoid of the ability to rationalize and think for ourselves?  I hope not, but I fear this might be the case.

No matter what side of the political fence you sit on, and no matter what side of the U.S./Canada border you live on, we all have to get along.  When all is said and done, we are still democracies and contrary opinions are to be welcomed and discussed openly and respectfully.

It's going to be a long election here in Ontario with the outcome still not assured by any of the three major parties, no matter what people say.  Lots can happen between now and June 7th, and lots undoubtedly will.  But one thing is certain:  there will be winners and there will be losers.

It might be wise to learn to accept either side of the equation with grace and equanimity before the results are announced in June.

As for me, I plan to avoid any political postings on social media for the foreseeable future, lest I hurt the feelings of one side or the other.  Too many supporters are too thin-skinned these days, and I don't need the stress and aggravation that comes with it.

If that doesn't work, I will simply exit social media altogether.

On that note, have a great rest of the week!

March 28th, 2018.


No comments: