Thursday, September 5, 2013

When one door closes, another opens: an update

It was in this very space less than a month ago I related the situation I and several others faced after being told our services were no longer required at CKTB Radio in St. Catharines.  I ended that posting with an optimistic desire to move on, look for my next Big Adventure, and as my sister Kelli told me on the phone from her home in Kenora, when one door closes another opens.

That second door doesn't open without you knocking on it first, of course, and I have been knocking on several digital doors over the past three weeks or so in order to seek a new avenue with which to follow my dreams.  I didn't know where that avenue would lead me, but for the time being at least, it has led me just down the street and around the corner, and oddly enough, the birthplace of CKTB Radio.

This morning I entered the doors of the downtown Student Residence at the corner of King and Ontario Streets, and settled in for my new position as Spoken Word Content Co-ordinator at CFBU-FM 103.7. I entered the lobby knowing full well about 80 years beforehand, talent from CKTB Radio passed through these doors into the ornate lobby of the then Welland House Hotel, which was then home to CKTB Radio before owner E.T. Sandell bought the former William Hamilton Merritt home at 12 Yates Street and moved the station there in the early 1930s.

There is a rich history attached to this venerable building that has been a mainstay of downtown St. Catharines for generations now, from the famous springs people came from all over to experience in the early days to the famous and near-famous people who would have stayed there over the years.  In a future posting in this space I will see what I can discover about the history of the building and share it with you.

For now, I will concentrate on my reasons for now making a little bit of history of my own in this historic building.

The first thing I decided to do when I found myself looking for gainful employment last month was to not rule anything out.  Nothing.  I notified close friends and associates of my situation before I wrote my blog post and then, with the eyes and ears of several of those kind souls, we set about seeing what was out there in the short term I could start to build a second career upon.

That brought be to a Facebook post on the CFBU page outlining a position for a Spoken Word Development Co-ordinator for the station, located just off the lobby of the downtown Student Residence.  Intrigued, I dove in immediately and sent my cover letter and resume in immediately and after an interview last week, I found out this week I had the job.

Relief was my first feeling:  relief I still had talents deemed viable in this day and age and relief those very same talents prevented me from sitting on the shelf for long.  I don't like sitting on the shelf, as you might have gathered.  My transition person I am working with in Hamilton reminded me a first interview within three weeks of being unemployed is a very positive sign; to actually get the job even more so.  I am gratified this new opportunity came my way so soon after the unfortunate situation I and several other talented individuals faced last month.

Now, the position is part-time through to next May, so we are not home-free quite yet.  But it will give me an opportunity to show my talents in a different forum and (hopefully) rise to the challenge of creating fresh, new and creative spoken word programming with a roster of young, hungry and talented students from Brock University.  And who knows where this new opportunity may lead in the future?

In a nutshell, it will be my responsibility to develop more shows in the spoken word format to further fill out the programming schedule at CFBU-FM.  I didn't realize it beforehand, but when I interviewed for the position it was made clear I would, for want of a better expression, lead the way on the station in regards to spoken word programming and that will include me being back on the air hosting a programme of my own.  Good thing I saved my headphones!

Right now the first project we are working on is developing a programme devoted to the interesting research currently being done both by students and faculty at Brock, and explain in layman's terms just what it means and how it can benefit the community at large.  From there we will look at other ideas for  shows, and really, the sky is the limit as to the possibilities we can explore in the adventurous, creative programming CFBU has long been known for.

The studio is compact and reasonably modern, although I noted today when I visited the studio for the first time there are the following pieces of equipment available for use even now:  a VCR, an audio cassette deck and yikes!  Did I see two turntables in there?  Yes I did!  To borrow a favourite term used by my friend and colleague Doug Herod at the St. Catharines Standard...Yowzers!

So tomorrow morning the adventure begins as we begin work on crafting a new spoken word identity to not replace, but complement the existing musical programming on the station.  With my 40 years of experience in the broadcasting industry, this will be a new adventure for your humble scribe, but I think I am up for it.

Now that being said, this being a part-time position occupying mostly mornings, I still need to find other gainful employment, so once again if I can prevail upon you to keep me in mind if you hear of anything, it will help as I continue to knock on those digital doors for the time being...in the afternoon.

Wish me luck...the adventure continues!

September 5th, 2013.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mike!