Wednesday, April 11, 2012

And this week in arts news...hockey?

Regular readers of this space know I usually report/comment on arts-related issues locally and beyond Niagara's boundaries on a weekly basis.  They will also have noticed I didn't write over the holiday weekend, as I escaped with my far-better-half to Utica, New York for the long weekend.  I will be reporting on that interesting excursion next week, by the way.  Regular readers will also know I occasionally veer off the arts beat to offer my views and/or rants on any number of subjects.  So belatedly due to being away on the weekend, we're now entering the 'high-rant' district.

In my regular morning duties producing the morning show at CKTB RADIO in St. Catharines, I interact regularly with that knowledgeable individual Rod Mawhood, who by day anchors the morning newscasts at the station and under the cover of darkness at night hangs out at hockey arenas and other sports facilities both far and near.  He even regularly joins the ranks of ink-stained wretches who write about games upon their conclusion (the games, that is).  But most often, he is above the crowd literally and figuratively at the Gatorade Garden City Complex in downtown St. Catharines as the arena announcer for the mighty Niagara Ice Dogs, the local OHL team currently battling for hockey supremacy in junior hockey circles as they continue their second-round series against the Brampton Battalion.  Going into last night's game, the 'Dogs had the proverbial leg up on the Battalion 2 games to nothing in a best-of-seven series, with the all-important Game 3 at the quaintly-knicknamed "Jack" scheduled to begin at 7 last night.

Now, I know what you're thinking:  Saunders at a hockey game?  And what's more, actually writing about it in a semi-lucid fashion?  What gives?  Okay, let me explain.  Rod, who is an otherwise intelligent and level-headed person in the mornings, has been after me to end my seemingly self-imposed exile from "The Jack" and actually catch a game now that the playoffs are underway.  He has been labouring under the misconception I might actually enjoy the experience and perhaps even join the hockey fraternity on a more regular basis and cheer on our beloved Ice Dogs.

The thought of attending a hockey game, while not something I would normally consider doing even though I do believe I am a Canadian citizen, did in fact hold a certain curiosity factor for me after Rod approached me with an offer too irresistible to (hopefully) refuse.  He said if I showed up at the arena at 6 pm he would give me the royal tour, even including a corned-beef dinner in the 'exclusive' Media Room and watching the game from the cozy confines of the announcer's booth high above the action at the Garden City arena.

Hmmm, sounds almost interesting, I thought.  I mean, how bad can it be?  After all, I'm not being subjected to watching the Toronto Maple Leafs, which to my mind would be akin to flushing my money down the toilet given the sorry state of the franchise at the moment.  Incidentally, did the much-publicized apology by the Maple Leaf brain trust this week for not making the playoffs for seven years now strike you as it did me rather odd, given the fact they have conveniently avoided the previous forty-odd years of futility prior to that sad run?  But I digress...

So there I was, entering the Gatorade Garden City Complex promptly at 6 last evening, and being greeted by Rod who whisked me to the secretive Media Room for that corned beef on a bun dinner and introduce this hockey novice to the grizzled veterans already digging in for nightly sustenance.  Not long afterwards, we made the trek through the arena to the high-level closet where Rod spends many of his winter/spring evenings calling the games.  My first thought, climbing the ladder and avoiding the big pipe just above my head is, how does he do this every night?  I mean, Rod is a tall guy, and he isn't alone up here, as several others crowd into the tiny room for the game as well.  I just added to the crowd last night, trying to ask questions I hoped would not suggest I was a total imbecile when it comes to hockey.

My thoughts on the game?  Well, the first period, which saw the bad guys go up 2-0 on the 'Dogs, was not the best period of hockey to serve as my introduction to the game.  But the remaining two periods saw the Ice Dogs show what they are made of and down the visitors 6-3, taking a 3 games to zip lead in the series, with Game 4 in Brampton Thursday evening.  Even I know Brampton will have a hard time coming back from a 3 game deficit especially against a talented squad like the Ice Dogs.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The arena, though old, has lots of character and, um, charm, shall we say.  The crowd is everything a team could possibly wish for:  passionate, loud and very supportive.  What more could you want?  Well, better washrooms for one thing, but that's another story for another day...

So would I go again?  Likely I will, during the next series whenever that begins.  And I think I will have to be there at some point anyways, since I noted last night the Ice Dogs were trailing the Battalion until Rod announced I was in the building, with my suitable-for-radio mug flashed on the video screen.  From then on, the 'Dogs were on fire and never looked back.  Coincidence?  Perhaps, but I like to think I was a good influence on the team.  I'm just saying...

Thanks, Rod, and the rest of the Ice Dogs fraternity for making me feel welcome...

Go Dogs, Go!

April 11th, 2012.

No comments: