Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New book looks at local popular culture in Niagara

I don't often write about books in this space, but this new book I picked up on Monday is worthy of a mention in this space, partly because I was interviewed for the book a couple of years ago. It is titled Covering Niagara: Studies in Local Popular Culture, and is edited by Joan Hicks and Barry Keith Grant at Brock University.

There was a book launch on Monday afternoon at the Pond Inlet down at Brock, and I was pleased to see so many familiar faces from the Niagara cultural and educational circles come out for the unveiling of the book, published by Wilfred Laurier University Press.

Essays by several different contributors examine some of the many forms of popular culture in Niagara, ranging from blackface minstrel shows in the 50s to local bicycle parades around the turn of the last century to popular movie-going down through the years and even musical instrument stores such as Ostanek's and Thorold Music. The section I was interviewed for, by Laura Wiebe Taylor, is titled Where is the Local in Local Radio? The Changing Shape of Radio Programming in St. Catharines.

Having been an employee of CKTB Radio, now part of the Astral Radio family, for over 29 years, I guess the editors figured I had been around long enough to offer a perspective on the industry on a local level over a broad period of time. It's times like these I realize I must be getting older; I often find myself training up-and-coming producers who were not even born when I started at the station! Sheesh...

Anyway, I will be reading Taylor's essay on radio before the rest, of course, and with some time off over the next couple of weeks, I plan to spend a good part of it on my backyard patio pouring over the rest of the book, too.

I mentioned the music stores receiving attention from Nick Baxter-Moore, which is part of the section titled Local Connections. Ostanek's should be part of any popular culture retrospective in Niagara, as Walter and his store staff have served countless music lovers over the years with any number of musical instruments. Also in the section is a wonderful essay by Terrance Cox on the local jazz scene, with a special emphasis on local jazz legend who has been on the international scene for more than a generation: Kenny Wheeler. Wheeler returned to Niagara a couple of years ago to give a concert at Laura Secord Secondary School and provide some musical guidance for the jazz music students there, and it proved to be a memorable return to his hometown. Terrance recounts the events with a great deal of affection for a jazz legend who has never forgotten his roots.

I could write volumes about the book, but frankly, you should just head to the Brock University bookstore and pick up a copy for yourself. I would imagine it will be available at other book retailers as well, and retails for $ 34.95. And if, after reading about Kenny Wheeler, you want to sample some of his ground-breaking recordings that are still available, drop me a line through my website (www.finemusic.ca) or email me directly at music@vaxxine.com and I will be happy to provide details of what's available and order Kenny's recordings in for you.

Happy Reading!

June 23rd, 2010.

No comments: