Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back from vacation in time for announcement from the Niagara Symphony

In my last blog entry, I mentioned I was taking a week off from all things electronic - computer (email, website, blog) and phone for a rest, and I would catch up to the world later. Well, I'm back, and I can honestly say this is something everyone should do once in a while. Let me explain.

By the end of April, I was feeling totally burned out from a heavy workload from my website business, A Web of Fine Music (www.finemusic.ca) and my producer duties at CKTB Radio. The days are long and with taxes, finishing up my father's estate and other personal matters to deal with, I had simply run out of gas. Now normally on vacation, I will keep in touch with the world and check emails and answer the phone every day, so I am on top of things even though I am off on vacation. This time, I wanted out, and that meant totally shutting off from the world. I didn't even watch the television news all that much, although I read the paper every day, as always. The result of all this down time is I actually feel rested and ready to greet the world at my electronic door once again. So by all means, contact me through my website or email me directly at music@vaxxine.com if you are looking for anything musical you can't find anywhere else. I am happy to help any way I can.

Now, what do I come back to? I receive a press release on the weekend counting down the days to the much-anticipated announcement the Niagara Symphony will be making regarding their new Music Director following the season-long search that ended earlier this month. It was an exciting experience for everyone involved, and in an earlier blog entry, I laid out my cards on the table and suggested Diane Wittry was the clear choice for the position from my vantage point. The podium is but one part of the job, of course, and there is much else for a music director to do besides conduct the concerts. Availability is also key, so whoever wins the job must be able to jump in with both feet to take the helm at the start of next season. Who that will ultimately be is anyone's guess at this point.

Today, I received word the announcement comes at Brock University this coming Friday morning, and presumably the winning candidate will be in attendance for the event. I will also be there, and will report on the announcement with my usual commentary in my next entry on Saturday morning. For now, though, just trying to catch up on work while taking my electronic holiday, and looking forward to hearing from you whenever you want to drop me a line.

Enjoy the week!

May 25th, 2010.

No comments: