Thursday, January 7, 2010

2010 starts with the loss of two local heroes

Over the last couple of weeks I have been collecting obituary notices on some pretty interesting people we have lost lately. I have so many I want to mention, in fact, I am going to do two of them here in this space today and the rest in my usual Saturday entry. The first two today are of a particularly local nature, and both are great losses to the community.

This morning I attended the funeral mass at St. Mary of the Assumption church on St. Paul Crescent in St. Catharines for the late Donald Deyme, who passed away at the relatively young age of 63 this past Sunday. I say relatively young age because, being 52 myself, I find a death at 63 hits me harder than it did even a few years ago. Many will know Donald as the husband of Anne Deyme; together they owned and operated Rysons Music on Court Street in downtown St. Catharines for many years. The business is still a going concern, of course, selling musical instruments and providing musical instruction to a host of young, aspiring musicians for what seems like forever. I hope Anne finds the strength to keep the business open following the loss of her husband, but obviously it is too early to tell what plans she might have. Our thoughts are with her at this difficult time, of course.

I first met Anne and Donald a number of years ago when the irrepressible Anne, a big fan of the CKTB morning show, which I produce every day, asked me to start emceeing some of her events she organized. These ranged from the annual Kiwanis musical showcase each spring to the launch of St. Catharines Idol for a couple of summers and most recently, her latest idea, Fiddlefest in downtown St. Catharines in July. It was often disorganized mayem, but Anne usually managed to get everything under control and keep everything moving. Usually in the background, quietly supplying his support and encouragement, was Don. I never really got to know Don all that well, as he was a very quiet man who let his wife shine in the spotlight, but he was always there doing what he could, either at the events or simply keeping things going back at the shop. I know everyone shares with me condolences sent out to Anne and her family for the loss of her husband of so many years.

Just before Christmas, word came out from the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake that long-time ensemble member Goldie Semple had passed away peacefully at home following a courageous battle with cancer. She leaves behind her husband of 33 years, Lorne Kennedy, another long-time ensemble member, and their 14 year old daughter Madeline.

Goldie Semple was a Shaw ensemble member for 17 seasons, and I think I probably caught every one of her performances over those 17 years. She appeared in last season's production of Brief Encounters and in 2008 played the role of Desiree in Shaw's memorable production of A Little Night Music. Many other productions also spring to mind: the 2001 production of Picnic and Noel Coward's Easy Virtue. That just scratches the surface, of course. She appeared in many productions over the years at the Stratford Festival as well, effortlessly moving between the two festivals at will. She also appeared on stages across the country from Vancouver to Manitoba as well as Toronto, and was co-founder of the Stratford-based theatre company Foolscap. In her spare time, she would compile and perform programs of poetry and music for the Niagara Historical Museum.

I have long been a fan of both Goldie and Lorne, a consummate theatre couple if ever there was one. Goldie's many qualities onstage and off were easy to admire; her talents immeasurable. I always found her peformances deeply felt and usually very elegant; oftentimes she was one of the sexiest women onstage. I still remember her daring portrayal of the title role in Camille on the Festival stage about 20-odd years ago; a production that briefly featured full frontal nudity. But she handled the scene with great care and it was not the least bit offensive.

The theatre community has lost a giant in Niagara-on-the-Lake; the Niagara music community has lost a quiet leader. But we'll collectively carry on, keeping them in our hearts as we head into 2010.

January 7th, 2010.

No comments: