Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Tis the season...to celebrate!

So here we are, the Saturday before Christmas, and I was busy...shovelling snow. Ah yes, a true Canadian winter, to be sure! I must admit I enjoy a white Christmas as much as the next person, but please, we have enough already! Oh well, it it helps to put people in the mood for the season that is very much upon us, all the better.

The wonderful thing about this Saturday for your humble scribe is I officially finished my Christmas shopping today. It was not without some drama, of course, as is almost always the case. But all things considered, being out in the fray this afternoon was not really all that bad. Thankfully, I was not under time constraints and most of the shopping was already done, so I didn't have the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look about me...well, no more than usual, let's say. I found most people to be in a reasonably good mood, despite the economic times we find ourselves in, and the store staff actually attentive and not too frazzled.

What I found most appalling today were the drivers. Patience and intelligence don't even take a back seat at this time of year: it is likely locked in the trunk of the car with the Christmas gifts! I really don't understand how people drive the rest of the year, given the haphazard examples I saw this afternoon. That being said, I arrived home in one piece and none the worse for wear, so I can't complain too much.

The next few days will be busy for me, as I keep on top of orders for my business, A Web of Fine Music, which is why I wanted the shopping done and out of the way before the final critical days for taking and processing orders before Christmas. I was worried going into this Christmas season, given the economic climate lately, but so far I have not seen a huge change from past seasons, which is good. I won't know the final numbers until the end of the month, of course, but my gut feeling at the moment is the season will be at least as good as last year, and for that I can't complain. Incidentally, I still have a good stock of Christmas music available to purchase. Just go to www.finemusic.ca for a complete list of titles I am recommending on my Mike's Picks page, or if you don't see it there, send me an email at music@vaxxine.com. I can't guarantee Christmas delivery on special orders this close to Christmas, but I might have what you are looking for in stock or be able to get it reasonably quickly if we're lucky.

Beyond the shopping and such, do remember to take some time to give back to the community if you possibly can, and don't forget the less fortunate in our society. A donation to Community Care of St. Catharines and Thorold, for example, would be useful and very much appreciated. At the Superstore at 4th and Louth, for example, you can donate five dollars to the food bank right at the cash as you check out; it's that easy. Let's work together for a better Christmas for everyone!

Although pretty well all the Christmas concerts are done now, there is one coming up Tuesday evening I will be involved with, if you have some time in the evening. Laura Thomas and I have teamed up to present a Christmas concert at St. Catharines Place and The Heatherwood Retirement Homes, on Scott Street in St. Catharines this Tuesday evening at 7 pm. It will be about an hour, and although it is for the residents, everyone can attend. It promises to be an enjoyable evening of Christmas music, stories and fun hosted by yours truly. Hope to see you there!

In closing, this will be my final entry before Christmas, so let me take this time to wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas, and may all your dreams come true. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

December 20th, 2008.

No comments: