Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Let's all stand and cheer the Black Tie Blues!

On a recent flight back from Winnipeg, I was reading the comments of Kelvin Browne in the Globe & Mail on concert etiquette and when to wear black tie in this day and age. I have always had pet peeves on both of these subjects, so let's explore the dual minefields together...

A question was posed to Mr. Browne about concert etiquette; specifically, while at a TSO concert, the reader didn't know when to clap, what to wear, etc. In this day and age, the short answer, I find, is 'anything goes'. While most arts organizations will jump through hoops to have patrons come through the door wearing anything at all - just come in, for heaven's sake! - I still like the notion of dressing for the occasion. What you interpret that as is your own decision; for me, there are so few opportunities to really dress up anymore, I like to wear a nice suit or sportsjacket and tie to create a sense of occasion. After all, why not present yourself in public in the best possible light?

This brings us to how to conduct oneself in the auditorium once the concert has started. As Mr. Browne notes in his column, some believe attending a concert is like watching TV. Sit down with a bag of snacks, talk to your neighbour, and generally forget there are several hundred other souls also sitting there, some who might actually want to hear the concert. I have often had to politely ask someone nearby to please keep quiet; it is not something I enjoy doing and I try to avoid it at all costs. However, sometimes people just don't get it. I remember a couple of seasons back sitting in front of a lady at the theatre who actually started singing the songs from the musical we were watching onstage! Please, unless you are an off-duty performer yourself, please don't treat the concert hall as your own personal karaoke venue. And while we're at it, could you please unwrap your candies BEFORE the concert starts? Just last week, I was attending a performance at the Shaw Festival, and the lady behind me was talking to her friend until the moment the performance started, and then promptly started unwrapping a candy as the first words onstage were being uttered. What, you can't unwrap and talk at the same time?
I know, I know, I might be accused of being a snob, but really, it's all about good manners as far as I'm concerned.

Mr. Brown also relates Toronto is the easiest place in the world to get a standing ovation, and we're so insecure we'll applaud almost anything. I concur on both counts. The general rule at a classical concert is, look at the number of movements in the programme and don't applaud until the end. There is a constant desire to applaud the moment there is a void in the hall, and this just isn't the case. Enjoy the silence as the music trails off...don't be the first to applaud, wait until the end of a piece and after a short pause, applaud generously. It's simple. Don't feel you have to applaud EVERYTHING. Years ago, I attended a concert by an orchestra visiting from the U.K. at Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto, and the audience even applauded the guy moving the chairs around on the stage before the musicians came back out! Bemused, he stood, took a deep bow, and walked off. How embarrasing! As for standing ovations, it is easier to count the number of times I have attended a concert that didn't end with a standing ovation rather than did. People almost always stand now, and that is just too much. In my concert-going career, I have legitimately been moved to genuinely give a standing ovation only a few times. But all too often I am standing now, rather than be the only guy in the hall still sitting in his seat. A standing ovation should be the highest compliment paid a performer or group rather than the norm as it is now.

The other question posed to Mr. Browne in his column in the National Post was when it would be appropriate to wear black tie. Basically, Mr. Browne laments the fact we just don't know when to wear black tie, as we fear being over-dressed. I can understand the uneasiness, as most men would rather avoid a tuxedo at all costs save for their wedding day, and even then only if necessary. Invitations suggesting 'creative black tie' don't make things any easier. What the heck is that supposed to mean? My rule of thumb is to interpret the invitation given the location, time of year, and what the event is. Usually, I am right. If you don't own a tux, obviously you don't want to rent a tux and then find out you're the only one wearing one, so don't be afraid to ask if you are not sure. And if you wear a tux on average once a year, it is best to consider buying rather than renting. I have owned my own for at least twenty years now; I am on my third, in fact, and I have never regretted the investment. It comes back to presenting yourself in the best possible light when you are out in public.

So the bottom line from all this? Be quiet during the performance, don't unwrap your candies after the lights go down, and dress for the occasion. If we all did these things, the concert-going experience would be more of a memorable occasion for everyone involved. Hey, you might even enjoy it more!

Mike Saunders
July 11th, 2007.

No comments: