Sunday, June 16, 2019

Attending Brock Convocation

On this Father's Day weekend I thought I'd take a bit of a detour from my usual arts beat to report on the past week's convocation ceremonies at Brock University.  There is an arts connection to it, so bear with me.  But there is also a very personal connection to the ceremonies this week, so let's start with that.

I've had a long standing relationship with Brock University although I've never been a student there.  I have toyed with attending as a senior student once I retire but we'll have to see if that actually happens in the future.  Most of my contact with Brock faculty, staff and students has been through my many years in the media, both at CKTB Radio and more recently, hosting an interview programme on Brock research on Brock Radio, CFBU-FM.

My nephew Rory Keith, who lived up in Kenora, Ontario, was accepted into the Sports Management programme at Brock and began studies 4 years ago.  Hard to believe it was that long ago we moved young Rory into the Lowenberger Residence down at Brock!

After the first year Rory and some friends moved off campus as many do and rented a house in the Merritton area, then for the last two years renting a home on Jacobson Avenue to be closer to the Brock bus route.  Ironically, while delivering mail during my first years at Canada Post I frequently delivered on both routes that included his houses, although he moved into the Jacobson address once I had moved to inside work at the depot.

This past Monday, I commented to my sister Kelli Saunders it is ironic too the reception tent was situated in the parking lot adjacent to Lowenberger where the journey all began four years ago.  Funny how things work out...

Brock Convocation ceremonies lasted the entire week, with one ceremony in the morning and another in the afternoon, all taking place in the Ian Beddis Gymnasium, part of the Walker Complex at Brock. At Brock they have this down to a science and everything worked like clockwork.

Rory was part of the graduating class Monday afternoon, and was conferred his Bachelor of Sport Management degree (with honours) along with many of his student colleagues.  It is an amazing achievement and needless to say, we are all incredibly proud of what Rory has accomplished.  He's already working full-time in his field right here in St. Catharines, so he'll be staying here for a while yet.

This is only the second time a member of our family graduated from University; his mother Kelli graduated from Guelph University in the late 80s, although neither she nor I have much recollection of that ceremony.  I have no idea why!

In spite of threatening weather on Monday everything went smoothly, and although I think the formal speeches might have been shortened a bit, overall the ceremony went surprisingly fast given the number of graduating students they had to get through.  The only snag came when the threatened rain finally materialized just as everyone was gathering outside for pictures and the reception.

No matter; everyone was pleased with the proceedings and spirits were high for obvious reasons!

Now on Friday, the final day of Spring Convocation, one of the notable members of the graduating class was Robin Guard, earning his third Brock degree and in the process breaking the record for the oldest-ever graduate at Brock - again!

Robin initially broke the record in June of 2017 at the age of 93.  This third time he graduates at the ripe old age of 95, although I'm told he was not in attendance on Friday for the ceremony.  It all began with a degree in English Literature in 2015, followed by his masters in History in 2017 and finally his Classics degree this past Friday.

Robin decided to enrol at Brock following the death of is wife from cancer, as a way of dealing with the grief.  It seemed to work as he forged many strong bonds with other mature students as well as the younger students, all of whom accepted him as one of their own and relied on him to offer a different perspective given his age.

This will be his final degree from Brock, apparently.  Now he says he wants to write his autobiography and I for one cannot wait to read it!

I first met Robin years ago as he was a regular customer with my online music business, A Web of Fine Music.  In later years I would often run in to him at Niagara Symphony concerts up at Brock and on one memorable occasion, he actually conducted the NSO.

Having successfully bid on the opportunity to conduct through the annual silent auction, it was simply great to see this young octogenarian in full tails conducting with the vigour of a man over half his age.  He is a treasure!

If anything, he'll be my inspiration should I choose to take up the challenge in retirement and enrol at Brock myself.

So on this Father's Day, remember you're never too old to learn, and never too young to inspire those around you, either.  Rory does that every day, and so does Robin.

Wish our Dad could have been there to enjoy it.  He would have been proudest of all...

Happy Father's Day!

June 16th, 2019.

No comments: